A study of the deformation of helical springs under eccentric loading (June 1994)

fullscreen
Author: Leech, Andrew R.
Subject: Mechanical Engineering
Publisher: Monterey, California: Naval Postgraduate School;Springfield, Va.: Available from National Technical Information Service
Language: en_US
Call number: o640613850
Digitizing sponsor: Naval Postgraduate School, Dudley Knox Library
Book contributor: Naval Postgraduate School, Dudley Knox Library
Collection: navalpostgraduateschoollibrary; fedlink; americana

Thesis advisor(s): Ranjan Mukherjee

"June 1994."

Thesis (M.S. in Mechanical Engineering) Naval Postgraduate School, June 1994

Includes bibliographical references

Much analysis has been done to date on the deformation of helical springs due to normal loadings. The aim of this study is to design a helical spring that will deform under eccentric loading a desired amount due to a given force. Under the assumptions of linear stress strain relationships, the spring will be designed in terms of its material properties and its geometry. The deformation of the spring will be made possible utilizing a Shape Memory Alloy (SMA) active element that undergoes phase transformation upon heating above a certain temperature. Two models for spring deformation have been considered. In the first model we study the differential compression of a spring using SMA wire actuators, and in the second model we investigate the bending of an SMA rod placed inside the spring. Our efforts were a first step towards the development of a structural skeleton for a minimally invasive surgical manipulator

Mode of access: World Wide Web

System requirements: Adobe Acrobat Reader

US Navy (USN) author

Scanningcenter: sanfrancisco
Mediatype: texts
Shiptracking: y0435
Format.extent: 62 p.;28 cm.
Identifier.oclc: o640613850
Type: Thesis
Contributor.advisor: Ranjan Mukherjee
Degree.name: M.S. in Mechanical Engineering
Degree.level: master's
Degree.discipline: Mechanical Engineering
Degree.grantor: Naval Postgraduate School
Description.service: U.S. Navy (U.S.N.) author.
Identifier: studyofdeformati00leec
Scanner: scribe1.sanfrancisco.archive.org
Ppi: 350
Camera: Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Operator: associate-veronica-romero@...
Scandate: 20130123170310